This pre-industrial complex, active from the 15th to the mid 17th centuries, was housed in a previously constructed 14th century building on the banks of the Ondara River. The excavation of this enclave, known as "Molí del Codina", uncovered structures for transporting water and numerous stone basins, of distinct shapes and sizes, used in the tanning and leather making process, e.g. soaking, liming, rubbing dung into the skin, tanning and dyeing. The site was flooded on September 17, 1644, covering the tannery with mud and rendering it unusable.

The tannery of Tàrrega is part of the Network of Catalonia Historical Tanneries ( Xarxa d’Adoberies Històriques de Catalunya ).